- 5pm Friday 24 August and 7pm Saturday 25 August 2012
Best African Movie – 2011 MTV Movie Awards
Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography & Best Production Design – African Movie Academy Awards 2011
An exhilarating gangster thriller set in one of Africa’s most intriguing cities – Kinshasa.
When young hustler Riva returns home after a successful venture with his pockets full of cash, he has only on thing on his mind – to party. But in the depths of a city rife with crime, corruption and debauchery, the things you desire can come at a deadly cost. Especially if they belong to someone else.
Riva’s dream of decadence quickly becomes a violent nightmare as he is pursued by two angry gangsters in this heart-pounding, jaw-dropping tale of bloodshed and betrayal. If you like Martin Scorcese films, you’ll love this.
Democratic Republic of Congo 2010 | 96 minutes | Certificate 15
Lingala and French, with English subtitles
- “Raunchy, violent and throbbing with kick-ass energy” METRO
- “A popcorn flick, full of sex, violence and nefarious deeds.” LITTLE WHITE LIES
- “Viva Riva! succeeds in being violent, erotic and often funny as it progresses atmospherically through the dusty, broken-down environment of the city.” EVENING STANDARD
- “It’s loud, fast and crude.” TIME OUT